HTML and CSS are the fundamental building blocks of the web. Whether you're a beginner who wants to get started in web development, a designer looking to hand-code their concepts, or a marketer who wants a little more control over their CMS, you'll need to know HTML and CSS to get the job done.
This one day workshop is the quickest way to get started building websites. You will dive head first into HTML and CSS, skill up with live coding exercises, and by the end of the day you'll have a working web page to call your own.Topics covered:
- Basics of the internet and how webpages work
- Syntax of HTML and CSS
- How to build common types of websites including landing pages and marketing sites
- Principles of front-end code organization and project structure
- How to modify the code of existing websites
- How to deploy a website to the internet
Interested in seeing this class held privately at your organization?
Email us at email@example.com to request more info.
- Learn the fundamentals of web development by diving in to HTML and CSS
- Understand how browsers work to interpret your code and present your website
- Build your own basic website from scratch
- Get familiar with freely available resources on the web so you can continue on your coding journey
Prereqs & Preparation
This workshop is for beginners, no coding experience required. If you know how to create a folder and open a document, you know enough to take this class! Basic HTML experience may be helpful, but is not necessary.
Bring along a laptop and please install the following free software before class:
- Sublime Text 3 http://www.sublimetext.com/3
- Google Chrome https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
If you'd like a head start, check out Code Academy's HTML & CSS for Beginners (optional): http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/htmlcss (Complete as much of the basics #1 and #2 as you can).
About the Instructor
Jennifer is an expert in product development. She has more than two decades of experience designing and developing innovative, award-winning commercial applications for enterprises and consumers. Her passion for technology was inspired by an introduction into programming as a teen, and she’s parlayed her knowledge and zeal for cutting-edge technology into product marketing, product management, and engineering leadership roles ever since. Today, Jen is co-founder of a start-up in the machine learning space, focusing on helping retailers to leverage big data to deliver exceptional, personalized customer experiences. Previously, she was CTO at an enterprise software company that developed security, compliance and business software for customers in highly regulated industries. Jennifer is also a mentor and advocate for early STEM education and participates in a number of organizations and events that help promote greater diversity in the technology industry.